T-Mobile Increases 4G LTE Capacity in DC by Nearly 1,000%
U.S. carrier T-Mobile have announced permanent increase of 4G LTE capacity in the areas surrounding the National Mall by nearly 1,000% since last year carrier ahead of Presidential Inauguration.
Operator rolled out new LTE Advanced technologies – like 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM – to make it happen. In the last year, T-Mobile has launched new LTE-Advanced technologies, enhanced sites with more spectrum – including Extended Range LTE, increased backhaul, upgraded equipment and built new facilities. This includes permanently:
- adding LTE spectrum to each site,
- deploying three carrier aggregation for a total of 30+30 MHz of LTE,
- launching 4x4 MIMO and 256 Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM),
- adding new multi-beam antennas and other upgraded equipment, and
- more than doubling backhaul on many sites.
For additional, temporary capacity, T-Mobile has also deployed LTE-enabled cell sites on-wheels (COWs) which will be in place for several days prior to and following the inauguration.